It’s not usually that a thirty-nine year recent beats the planet No. 5, however that is exactly what happened once former World No. 2 Tommy Haas upset Roger Federer 2-6, 7-6(8), 6-4 on Wed throughout the second spherical of the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart.
The win, Haas’ fourth over the incomparable nice in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series, additionally marks the German’s second conclusion against Federer on grass in as several matches. Haas additionally beat Federer within the 2012 Gerry Weber Open final.
1. Haas is the third player to beat Federer twice on grass, change of integrity Novak Djokovic and Lleyton Hewitt. Haas beat Federer within the 2012 Gerry Weber Open final.
2. Haas is the oldest player to beat a prime five opponent since Jimmy Connors, thirty-nine years and five months, defeated No. 3 Michael Stich within the second spherical of the 1992 Memphis Open.
3. Federer has command point in each of his losses in 2017, falling to No. 116 Evgeny Donskoy at the Dubai Duty Free tennis Championships and No. 302 Tommy Haas at the Mercedes Cup.
4. Federer falls to 15-2 period against players outside the highest three hundred and suffers initial opening-match loss on grass since 2002 Wimbledon vs. Mario Ancic.
5. No. 302 Haas is lowest-ranked player to beat Federer since No. 407 Bjorn Phau at the 1999 Citi Open and oldest quarter-finalist since Jimmy Connors, 42, at 1995 Halle.
6. The second-round match between 39-year-old Haas and 35-year-old Federer was the oldest ATP World Tour match since 1982 Vina del Mar, once Ricardo Cano, 30, beat Luis Ayala, 49.
7. Next, Haas can attempt to become the oldest player to succeed in an ATP World Tour semi-final since Connors, 40, in 1993 in urban center (ret. vs. Gilbert).